Over 40 Style Guide

woman in long black gown

When I was a little girl, my sister, brother and I would pile in our parent’s bed while they entertained friends for the evening. Each time, I’d create a story for them, the cooky cast of characters always creatures living under the sea embarking upon outlandish scavenger hunts and escapades.

My younger siblings loved our story time, and I would include them in each new adventure. Their identities would change with each story from dolphins to starfish, turtles and brightly colored fish.

Looking back on these happy childhood memories, it recently dawned on me that I never added a mermaid to my wild sea tales. Why not? Mermaids are fabulous, colorful beauties who live a life of adventure. Uncomfortable under wire bras… not for mermaids, they use starfish to cover the girls! Since their legs are together in a glamorous sparkly tail, thighs that touch are highly prized!

woman in black mermaid dress

woman in black mermaid dress

Since I’m officially rode in the backseat of a station wagon and survived old (55 to be precise), I’ve decided it’s never too late to add mermaid to my bucket list.

I’m always on the go, so a fin and tail would more than likely slow down the whole blogging thing. Which prompted me to do the next best thing, I went in search of a flattering, flowy gown to celebrate my inner mermaid. Added bonus – glamorous mermaid tail PLUS a classic formal dress in my closet on stand by for future parties and events. Our friends under the sea are giving this idea a swimming ovation!

woman in black mermaid dress

woman in black mermaid dress

I knew as soon as I slipped into this this scrumptious gown it would be coming home with me. I love the mix of fabrics, the way the designer, JS Collections, added sheer lines in all the right places (this dress is already sold out, but we’ve selected more mermaid gowns below). The mermaid bottom makes me want to do spins in gleeful celebration.

woman in black mermaid dress

This post contains Affiliate Links.
Although my dress is already sold out, here are some of our favorite similar gowns (plus size too), several by the same designer. To shop this post, simply click on the photo you like below.

woman in black mermaid dress

It’s never too late to be mermaids, darlings. I think the next time I’m asked to do something I’d rather not, my response will be, sorry I can’t. I have important mermaids stuff to do.

Here’s to letting our inner child out for play dates. Sparkle on my beauties!

Photos by Chad W. Wooten

Jonet Wooten is a 56 year old former investigative newspaper reporter/photographer. She's always in search of the latest and greatest in Fashion, Beauty and Travel, which she writes about on her AWARD WINNING blog. Creator of the popular global fashion series She's Got Style.

12 Comments on There’s a Mermaid In My Closet | The Dress That Made My Bucket List

December 15, 2017 at 2:47 pm (8 months ago)

What a beautiful mermaid you are! I love hearing about your story time. I think creativity was part of our entertainment as kids..at that time. i love the style on you, so flattering!
    thanks for linking!

December 15, 2017 at 3:10 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you so much, dear Jess. Story time, shadow puppets, playing in the yard were all absolutely part of our childhood. Thanks for your kind comments, and you know I’ll be back next week. Ps. I still owe you a shout out on my ugly sweater so I can hang with you and yours. I’ll be posting mine tomorrow on IG. Xo Jonet

2. jacqui
    December 13, 2017 at 4:17 pm (8 months ago)

What a deliciously stylish dress, you look super in it. How interesting your stories sound, what a fab older sibling you are. Thanks for the insight Jonet. x Jacqui

December 13, 2017 at 4:22 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you so much, Jacqui! I didn’t really have an up to date gown on stand by for the perfect occasion until now. You are too kind, my friend. Merry Christmas to you! Xo Jonet

3. Andrea Nine
    December 13, 2017 at 11:27 am (8 months ago)

Oh Jonet, you are a true stunner! Wow! I bet you’d turn heads wherever you go in that! So beautiful and classy!

December 13, 2017 at 11:45 am (8 months ago)

Well way to make my day, dear Andrea! Thank you so much for the kind words and your comment. Merry Christmas to you and yours, doll and thanks for subscribing! Xo Jonet

4. Ada
    December 13, 2017 at 10:45 am (8 months ago)

I am glad you got this mermaid dress Jonet because you look like a goddess in it. I love the mesh palettes of the dress and how you styled it. I am sharing a fancy LBD on my blog today, also.

Welcome by Thursdays to link your fabulous style with me. I also think you’d like my last two style posts. Happy Hump Day!!

Ada =))

December 13, 2017 at 11:20 am (8 months ago)

Hi Ada, you are too kind. What girl doesn’t love an elegant gown?

I’ll hop on over to your blog today to check out your posts. Thank you for the sweet link up invite. Merry Christmas to you and yours, luv. Xo Jonet

5. Laura
    December 12, 2017 at 4:52 pm (8 months ago)

You look stunning! That dress was seriously made for you! Gorgeous!

December 12, 2017 at 5:32 pm (8 months ago)

Thank you so much, Laura. It’s funny, I was trying on dresses for a future post when the sales lady brought me this dress. She said, “you need to try this dress on. It just came in and it’s on sale”. She had me at “sale”. Thanks for your comment, doll. Xo Jonet

6. Ruth
    December 11, 2017 at 5:25 pm (8 months ago)

That dress is so chic! A LBD can take you into so many holidays and parties throughout the year. This one is beautiful on you!

December 12, 2017 at 8:30 am (8 months ago)

Thank you kindly, Ruth! The LBD is a fashion staple. Merry Christmas and thanks for your comment. Xo Jonet