woman in velvet jumpsuit and leather jacket

Some say fashion holds the power to inspire, empower and celebrate women. Fashion is also cyclical and we are all currently traveling back in time for a 70’s revival thanks to major fashion designers around the world.

In case you missed out on some of your high school style trends, you’ve been given a second chance to embrace some pretty groovy pieces and styles.

VELVET is the trend of which I speak my friends, and it makes me want to revisit the Farrah Fawcett feathered hair do of my youth. Shout out if you ever wore the feathered hair look (comments section below post).

Speaking of throw-back trends, I do love me some velvet, it’s such a rich and classic fabric, which has clearly stood the test of time. Since it’s such a star on today’s fashion scene, I decided to put together a look that flirts with expensive, without taking an ugly bite out of my Ted Baker wallet.

What’s the styling secret to pulling off an elegant, trending velvet look that won’t break the bank? Combine affordable pieces sprinkled with a few higher-end pieces for a sophisticated look.

For this look, I started with a ridiculously affordable (#TargetStyle) crushed velvet jumpsuit in vibrant cranberry, and layered it with a faux leather jacket. To accessorize the outfit, I added a pair of suede booties with stud detailing and sprinkled an extra dose of velvet with my handbag. To elevate and create the illusion of an expensive outfit, I accessorized it with an elegant faux pearl and crystal statement necklace.

Total Outfit Price: Under $400.00)!

You don’t have to spend big bucks to look like a million, darlings.

woman in velvet jumpsuit and leather jacket

woman in velvet jumpsuit in restaurant

woman in velvet jumpsuit in restaurant

woman in velvet jumpsuit

woman in velvet jumpsuit walking up stairs

woman in velvet jumpsuit talking to statue

I whispered a few fashion tips into the ear of Greenville’s Dr. Charles Hard Towne’s ear and he took note (of course, I’m kidding).

woman in velvet jumpsuit in restaurant

Special thanks and shout out to Hall’s Steak House Greenville for generously allowing us to do a photo shoot in their glamorous restaurant.

This post contains Affiliate Links, which means you pay the same price and we receive a small commission. This allows us to continue to bring you the latest on fashion and beauty.

To shop this post, simply click on the photo that strikes your fancy.

FASHION DETAILS & SHOPPING LINKS

To sum it all up, thanks to some savvy retailers, you don’t have to spend a fortunate to tap into current trends. Hurray!

Shout out if you LOVE velvet (comments section below).

Here’s to reliving our high school years in fabulous style!

Jonet Wooten is a 55 year old former investigative newspaper reporter/photographer. She’s always in search of the latest and greatest in Fashion, Beauty and Travel, which she writes about on her AWARD WINNING blog. Creator of the popular global fashion series She’s Got Style.

18 Comments on The Secret To A Velvet Evening Look For A Song | Style Tips

November 18, 2017 at 8:17 am (2 days ago)

You are too kind, Michelle. Thanks for your comment. Xo Jonet

1. patricia
    November 14, 2017 at 4:49 am (6 days ago)

Loving this look!!! how you styled this pop of velvet shades is fabulous.

November 14, 2017 at 7:34 am (6 days ago)

Thanks so much, Patricia. You are too kind. Xo Jonet

November 13, 2017 at 12:38 pm (6 days ago)

LOve this rich burgundy on you, and the wide leg jumpsuit looks so chic with the jewelry! Great for the Holdiays! I never tire of velvet!

November 14, 2017 at 7:32 am (6 days ago)

Thanks so much, Jess. I love a rich Burgundy and velvet is one of my favorite fabrics! Xo Jonet

3. Nicole
    November 11, 2017 at 6:03 pm (1 week ago)

Thank you for joining the Top of the World Style linkup party. Great look. I totally agree that cheap can be stylish and expensive doesn’t automatically read stylish. It depends on the pieces. Style is editing.

November 14, 2017 at 7:30 am (6 days ago)

Well said, Nicole. Styling has the power to elevate any look. Xo Jonet

4. jacqui
    November 9, 2017 at 5:03 pm (1 week ago)

Want, want, want this jumpsuit, not only the style but that superb colour. this is a winner in my eyes. I’m searching for this. xx Jacqui

November 10, 2017 at 6:30 am (1 week ago)

Thank you, my stylish friend. I’m not sure if you have Target in the U.K. but that’s where I got it and it was under $50! Just click on the photos in the post to shop. Thanks for your comment. Xo Jonet

5. Janice
    November 7, 2017 at 12:37 pm (2 weeks ago)

Absolutely ADORE velvet, always have, and very happy to see it so big this year. But, I’m still trying to get over the old Miss Manners concept that it is evening wear or only for more formal winter occasions–like it was when I was a kid in the 50’s and 60’s. Plus, the Pacific Northwest is extremely casual. So, every year, I pull out the velvet and most years I put it away in February without wearing it. Sigh. I guess I should make a resolution that I WILL wear velvet this fall and winter and NOT just for holiday parties! I’m new to your website and happy I found it.

November 8, 2017 at 7:31 am (2 weeks ago)

First, a huge WELCOME to our tribe, dear Janice! So happy you’ve found our sparkly spot in cyber space. It’s exciting that fashion trends are challenging the Miss Manners concepts we’ve all followed for so many years. Case in point, winter white is HUGE right now!

I say, wear velvet whenever your heart desires. Btw, we moved to the south a few years ago from Oregon. Xo Jonet

November 8, 2017 at 7:26 am (2 weeks ago)

It’s really fun, front and back. Feminine and versatile. Thank you kindly for you comment, dear Rosie. Xo Jonet

6. Nancy
    November 4, 2017 at 3:18 pm (2 weeks ago)

I think it looks fantastic! What a warm rich colour! Good job girl!

November 5, 2017 at 7:15 am (2 weeks ago)

Thanks so much, sweet lady. I do love a rich color, it brightens the face. Big hugs to you, darling. Xo Jonet

7. ann
    November 1, 2017 at 2:18 pm (3 weeks ago)

Sorry, but I must say that the jumpsuit looks like it costs under $30.00 and it doesn’t look at all like velvet.

November 2, 2017 at 7:46 am (3 weeks ago)

Hi Ann. One of the things I love about Target is that they have stepped up their fashion game and their affordable prices allow us to play with fashion trends without making a huge investment. I’m in love with the rich color of this fun and trendy jumpsuit. Have a great day. Xo Jonet