Plus The Boomerang Empty Nest Diaries Part I

woman in Zara jeans playing tennis

Raising kids; one of the greatest joys on this earth, filled with laughter, joy, pain and stress all rolled into one beautiful family portrait.

There are moment where MOMing feels like we’ve been thrown into a Wimbledon tennis match, complete with onlookers in the stands, watching the match.

woman in Zara jeans playing tennis

Back in the day, I could almost hear John McEnroe’s voice calling the game, “oh that was close, I thought he had it, but Mom pulled that shot outa nowhere!” Ahhhh, good times.

woman in Zara jeans playing tennis

It took a few years for me to shed the tears and take off my mom jersey as the hubster and I became empty nesters. I missed those maternal moments with my son and daughter, the nurturing, family meals and joyful noises of a full house.

woman in Zara jeans playing tennis

And then one day, my husband and I looked at each other over a quiet dinner and realized we were free. We had successfully raised our babies, and we could eat dinner naked on the roof if we so chose! Sorry for the visual, here’s a Brillo pad to scrub your brain.

Pitbull on sofa

Flash forward seven years, and like many other empty nesters, one of our babies flew home, and he wasn’t alone. He brought with him, 75 pounds of energetic, lovable, drooling (at times) rescue sweetness who charges through the house like a championship horse. He’s also a certified (or certifiable) sofa and bed hog.

Our family meals have migrated back to when our nest was full, and there’s a part of my heart that is happy and fulfilled. To look across the table and see our grown son, a good man who has accomplished so much (he’s a Marine), makes me so very proud.

woman in Zara jeans playing tennis

It leaves me a mom divided, I count the moments until our daughter comes home for visits and we have a full house once again.

Yet we relish the nights he leaves us for a business trip. Carl and I are free once again, to do as we please, Pitbull rescue poster boy, Rocky beside us, hogging the sofa!

woman in Zara jeans playing tennis

This post contains Affiliate Links.

woman in Zac Posen sunglasses

OUTFIT DETAILS AND SHOP THIS POST

Red Tie Top ~ Loft (click on photo link below)
Embroidered Jeans ~ Zara (similar below)
Sunglasses ~ Zac Posen (click on photo link below)
Heels ~ White House Black Market (similar below)
Lipstick ~ Lancome Absolute Rouge (click on photo link below)
[show_shopthepost_widget id=”2719712″]

Hoop Earrings ~ Sheila Fajl Earrings

So whether you leave the breadcrumbs or not, they always come home. Here’s to Mother’s Day, because for us, it’s happily every day, am I right?

Do you have an empty nest story to share? Our tribe would love to hear about it. Share your story in the Comment Section below.

Sending you much love, my friends,

XO, Jone’t

Jonet Wooten is a 55 year old former investigative newspaper reporter/photographer. She's always in search of the latest and greatest in Fashion, Beauty and Travel, which she writes about on her AWARD WINNING blog. Creator of the popular global fashion series She's Got Style.

18 Comments on Embroidered Jeans + Seeing Red | Over 50 Fashion

1. Jennie
    July 6, 2017 at 3:25 pm (2 months ago)

What a great post! It was fun to read about the changes of life without and with kids again. Rocky is a gorgeous boy. My youngest has a pit mix and he is my constant companion.

Fantastic embroidered jeans! They look wonderful with your red sweater and cute sandals.

Thanks for linking up with Fabulous Friday!

Jennie – A Pocketful of Polka Dots

July 6, 2017 at 3:46 pm (2 months ago)

Thanks, Jennie, for your kind words. Being a mom is a wonderful mixed bag of fun, sadness and love. I thought I’d share my story, since kids leaving home only to come back, seems to be “trending” ~ lol! I’ll see you next week, doll. Xo Jonet

July 4, 2017 at 8:28 am (2 months ago)

Thank you and my pleasure! See you again this week. Xo Jonet

July 2, 2017 at 3:56 pm (2 months ago)

Lol, oh the joys of freedom! Thanks, I am enjoying and actually wearing the red lace up top as I write this and the jeans… utterly obsessed! I’ll see you next week. Xo Jonet

2. Cheryl Tucker
    July 1, 2017 at 8:05 am (2 months ago)

I had to come back and tell you thank you for joining the Ladies Who Link Up!

July 1, 2017 at 8:30 am (2 months ago)

It is not only my pleasure to be in such fashionable company, I love your website. Xo Jonet

3. Nicole
    June 30, 2017 at 1:11 am (2 months ago)

This outfit is stunning. I love the idea of playing tennis in heels. It’s so me. LOL.Thanks for linking up to the Top of the World Style linkup party.

June 30, 2017 at 7:25 am (2 months ago)

LOL, we think alike, Nicole. That’s exactly why I shot it in heels. Xo Jonet

4. kristin mccarthy
    June 29, 2017 at 1:13 am (2 months ago)

I’m a bit obsessed with those sunglasses!

#bloggerclubuk

June 29, 2017 at 7:21 am (2 months ago)

Thanks Kristin! Me too, who doesn’t love the fabulous Zac Posen? Xo Jonet

5. jodie filogomo
    June 28, 2017 at 11:21 am (2 months ago)

What a delightful way to describe it, Jonet!!
    And I’m totally enjoying your fabulous tennis moves—in heels no less!!
    Jodie

June 28, 2017 at 4:39 pm (2 months ago)

Thank you Jodie, for your kind words. Lol, we had fun with this photo shoot, which is just the way it ought to be, don’t ya think? Xo Jonet

6. Shelbee on the Edge
    June 28, 2017 at 7:00 am (2 months ago)

Jonet, this post just made me laugh, cry, wish, and reflect all in the 2 minutes it took me to read it! So fabulous! All of it! I needed that perspective as my little ones (ages 4 and 6) are currently driving me bonkers! And your outfit is superb and ever so chic. Great post!

Shelbee

June 28, 2017 at 10:58 am (2 months ago)

That’s the highest compliment you could pay me, my dear. It was written from the heart, as my children own mine, I’m so happy that it touched you. Thanks for your comment. Xo Jonet

7. Cheryl Tucker
    June 26, 2017 at 2:04 pm (2 months ago)

Yes Yes Yes! I love it! The most darling outfit I’ve seen this week! Peace!
    Cheryl Tucker
    http//www.northwestmountainliving.com

June 26, 2017 at 2:53 pm (2 months ago)

Well Cheryl, you’ve made my Monday. Thanks doll. Xo Jonet